Last week we had a great week! Our school was able to fill over 200 boxes for operation Christmas Child!
On Tuesday we went on a field trip. We started out at Province House where students watched a video about the 1864 Charlottetown Conference. Then it was on to the Art Gallery where students were able to view a few pieces from the exhibit Five Decades of Canadian Art. They focused on a piece of art that we made out of a whale vertebrae.
Our tour guide Gail was great. After the gallery students were off the the studio to create their own masterpieces. Gail guided the students through drawing a bone which they coloured in. When it was all coloured she used special paint to make it look like a bone.
Finally it was off to the library where students were able to read book by Canadian authors that the library staff had set out for us. It was certainly a full morning but the students enjoyed the trip. Thank you very much to all the parents who were able to drive for us and for those who stayed with use during the trip. We could not do this without such wonderful support.
Last week grade one was also introduced to math learning stations. During our review lessons I like to create a way for students to practice the skills they have learned in a hands on way. Here are a few pictures of the learning center grade one took part in last week.
This week’s tests:
Wednesday November 26th — Math test
Thursday November 27th — Phonics test
Friday November 28th — Spelling test (List # 6 for grade one, List # 8 for grade two)
Important information regarding delays and closures due to weather:
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the English Language School Board. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”; GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
There are a number of ways to know if there is a school delay or closure; they are as follows:
- We will post on the GCS Facebook (Grace Christian School – Prince Edward Island) or Twitter (@gcs_pei) feed
- Each PEI radio station regularly announces delays/closures
- The CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/)
- The PEI radio station websites also post delays/closures on their sites
- NEW THIS YEAR – families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY program. If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (email@example.com) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to.
It’s hard to believe that it is the last week in November already. In the next few weeks grade one and two will be working hard to learn music for the Christmas program which will take place on December 12th. This week I will send home a copy of the words for students to read through and learn at home.
Have a great week!