We are nearing the end of 2015. Only three more weeks of school before Christmas break. I am sure some of you are busy shopping for that perfect gift for your loved ones.
It is the time of year where we want to students to realize that God uses his children to bless others, and that it truly is better to give than to receive. What a better time than the holiday season to share the love of Jesus with others in our community? So, that is exactly what we plan to! This year grade one and two will again be travelling to a seniors home to sing a few songs and bless the residents with a Christmas card. Details will be finalized this week and information will be posted on the blog as soon as plans are finalized.
This week’s memory verse:
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
We are thrilled to have high school ESL students teaching the elementary classes a third language this year. Students will taking Mandarin classes during second quarter! We are looking forward to these engaging classes every Wednesday afternoons.
Weather & School Cancellation
Due to the dropping temperatures and the snow in the air, please review the following information regarding potential school closures or delays.
In the case of a “one hour delay”, school will begin at 10:00am while a “school closure” results in no school at all for the day.
When announcements are made for a delay or closure, GCS follows the English Language School Board. Alternatively, sometimes only certain schools will be delayed or closed and will be announced by “family of schools”; GCS follows the Bluefield Family, Colonel Gray Family, and Charlottetown Rural Family of schools. If any of these are delayed or canceled, GCS will be also.
There are a number of ways to know if there is a school delay or closure; they are as follows:
- We will post on the GCS Facebook (Grace Christian School – Prince Edward Island), Twitter (@gcs_pei), and Instagram (gcspei) accounts
- Each PEI radio station regularly announces delays/closures (as English Language School Board)
- The CBC Stormcentre website (http://www.cbc.ca/stormcentre/pei/) (as English Language School Board)
- The PEI radio station websites also post delays/closures on their sites (as English Language School Board)
- Families can opt in to a GCS text message notification. If school is delayed or canceled, a text message can be sent from GCS to one cell phone in the family to notify of the delay/closure. This is an OPT-IN ONLY program. If you would like to use this option, please email Jordan Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the cell phone number that you want to have the text message notification be sent to. If you opted in last year and still have the same cell phone number, it is already still in the system.
Christmas Program — December 11th
The school’s Christmas program is scheduled for December 11th ,with a matinee performance at 1:30, and an evening performance at 7:00 PM. For this year, we ask that students dress in cowboy and cowgirl attire such as plaid shirts and jeans, but no hats as they tend to block the view of students standing behind. See y’all there!
This week’s tests:
Wednesday — Math test
Thursday — Phonics Test
Friday — Spelling test ( List # 8 grade one, List # 10 grade two)
Dates to Remember:
Dec 11 – Christmas Program (1:30 & 7:00)
Dec 18 – Christmas parties (half day)
Dec 21 – Jan 1 – Christmas break